Rigging of Dana has begun. I'm trying to make sure she has a full range of motion
Monday, November 26, 2012
Thursday, November 22, 2012
Here's a look at some face tests for Gertrude. When I'm done She'll have a full range of expressions on hand to really give her life. The inspiration for much of her facial positions come from studying Anastasia from the Don Bluth Film. I was fortunate enough to not only learn from animators who worked on the film but to get a look at the character model sheets to see how they mapped out her expressions.
Tuesday, November 20, 2012
Monday, November 19, 2012
Sunday, November 18, 2012
With the main color, bump, and specularity done I'll be moving on to blend shapes and rigging soon. At this moment I don't have the subsurface scattering applied, I'll do that after rigging. However I believe I'll post a test render of Dana with it.
Wednesday, November 14, 2012
Texture creation has begun on the new Gertrude model. These images show the diffuse map only. I'm currently working on the bump, specularity, and others. Just like the first model I plan to use subsurface scattering, but this time I hope to have a better handle on it.
Monday, November 12, 2012
Friday, November 9, 2012
Tuesday, November 6, 2012
Monday, November 5, 2012
If you saw the video I posted a few days ago, you already know of all the attempts done on Suicide Friends. This project has been going for years, and the recent design proved to be (though my favorite) the most taxing. The traditional animation with Roger Rabbit styled lighting was taking too much time with just one person working on it. If I continued, this film wouldn't be done for another 8 years. So I decided to try a digital Dana again. As the video showed, I did this once and the result wasn't to my liking. She looked like an alien, but it was the best I could do at the time. I stopped on the idea of doing a full CG film until I had more practice. After working on "the Grim" (http://thegrimanimation.blogspot.com/) I believe I've had a good amount of practice and rebuilt Dana. The result really pushes the first one aside (I honestly feel weird even comparing with these images). Someday I'll do a traditionally animated film, but I'll wait until I have a crew of animators. Until then, I'm happy with how Dana is coming along.
Sunday, November 4, 2012
One of the last things before moving on to clothing and texturing, giving her hair. The hair on the first model of Gertrude was difficult as I wasn't use to making hair and tried approaching it the same way I sculpt hair on a clay figure. However, anyone that tells you making something in a 3D program is just like sculpting is not your friend. Its more like sculpting if your hands were numb and then someone put boxing gloves on them. At first I always just want to put my hands on the model and just form it. Fortunately after working on the first short, I'm more use to working with the computer as can be seen in these images
Friday, November 2, 2012
Literally working from head to toe for the next short. I spent most of today working on Gertrude and I'm now at her feet, though I plan to go back and check everything again. This time we want to see how far we can take everything with what we know so far.
Thursday, November 1, 2012
With animation done on the first short (it's currently going through sound an music) I've been talking to a 3D dynamics artist on how to improve everything for the next. He's currently testing cloth while I'm making adjustments to the character models for the second short. You can see the start of these changes in this image below, with the original Gertrude base model from the first short on the left, and the adjusted model on the right. I hope this project constantly grows and improves with each chapter.
Here's a look at some of the testing that has gone into Suicide friends. The project has gone through many changes, once being planned as full stop motion, again as full CG, and another time as a mix of media. After a lot of testing I found that I can produce stop motion and CG in the time I'd like for this film, but 2D on my own, especially in the desired style, takes a lot of time. With the amount needed for this project and being done on my own, this film would take about 8 years to complete. So now I'm looking to produce this film using CG and stop motion. I'll greatly miss the 2D aspects, but someday when I have a large team I'll tell another story in that style. I have no shortage of ideas.